POC launches its lightest ever sunglasses
Images by Maja Johansson
POC’s brand-new cycling sunglasses, Elicit Clarity, have been developed for the very highest levels of performance at the very lowest weight. At a strikingly light 23g, they represent the lightest ever sunglasses that POC has produced and will be unveiled at the Rouleur Live show in London on November the 4th.
The Elicit feature a unique truss design along the temples allowing the perfect balance of rigidity and weight. Created with bio-based materials the design allows the temples to maintain rigidity and stiffness where needed, nearer to the lens, whilst allowing for greater flexibility around the head and ears, providing more comfort and security.
Weight, however, is still only one aspect of the Elicit’s unique approach. They offer incredible levels of protection and coverage, all of which have been subjected to rigorous testing, particularly with professional rider Mitch Docker.
Head of product at POC, Oscar Huss, said “We know that grams matter, so we set ourselves the challenge of creating the lightest performance eyewear we could, balanced with a large modern shield lens for enhanced coverage, visibility and protection. The simplest way to cut weight would have been to make the lens smaller, but this does not match the expectations of modern performance eyewear, especially protection and visibility. For our developers and designers, the Elicit required a lot of unconventional thinking and innovation, and we are incredibly proud of the result.”
Featuring specially designed snap hinges, lens changing is made incredibly easy and quick, allowing riders to change lenses in a matter of seconds. The frameless design also creates a unique sensation of openness whilst still providing all the benefits of enhanced coverage.
The Elicit’s are light, but they have also been designed for durability and use in all conditions. EF Education – NIPPO rider Mitch Docker, has been a key contributor in the development process and has been racing in the new eyewear at the highest level of competition, and in some of the most extreme conditions.
Commenting on the eyewear, EF Education – NIPPO rider, Mitch Docker said, “The Elicit’s are special, and their weight is extraordinary! The lightness means I hardly notice them and they are beautifully balanced. I am a fan of bigger lenses and I have ridden the Elicit’s in almost every weather condition, including my last race, Paris-Roubaix, which was very messy, but they handled it all. I also think they look amazing and it has been fun to work so closely with POC on their development, especially to test them during my ‘Length of Sweden’ ride this summer.”
To give an illustration of the lightweight approach, when paired with POC’s lightest helmet, the Ventral Lite, the combined weight would be a mere 200g (approx. for both). Naturally for those focused on weight and performance that is a significant performance gain.
Elicit Clarity Details_
- Exceptionally lightweight – 23g, a frameless design and a truss structure on the temples keeps weight low.
- Bio-grilamid temples – Lightweight, strong, durable and made from majority renewable sources.
- Snap hinges – Snap-in hinges allow very quick and easy lens changes. The hinges also allow the temples to break away from the lens in a fall, minimizing damage.
- Interchangeable nosepiece – Two sizes of nosepiece are provided so each user can find a comfortable fit.
- Clarity lens – Lenses with Clarity technology for sharper vision.
- Curved lens – A continuous, curved lens with chamfers at the edge give exceptional coverage and keep weight low.
- UV400 – Complete UVA and UVB protection.
- Ri-Pel™ – protects from dirt, water, sweat, salt, oil and dust, and makes the lenses easier to keep clean.
- Anti-scratch treatment – Keeps the lenses free from blemishes that affect vision.
- Comes with a spare clear lens – swap lenses to have the best vision in different conditions.
- Includes a hard case and soft pouch.
Spring 2022 and will come in a variety of frame colors (Hydrogen White, Uranium Black, Fluorescent Orange, Actinium Pink, Sapphire Purple and Lemon Calcite) and lenses (Gold, Silver, Define and clear) and will be used by a host of riders, including many from EF education – NIPPO and Drops – Le Col.
Notes to editors
All media assets available
POC, a leading manufacturer of helmets, eyewear, body armor and apparel, has been awarded almost 70 international safety, design, and innovation awards. Founded in 2005 in Sweden, POC’s mission is to ‘protect lives and reduce the consequences of accidents for athletes and anyone inspired to be one’. pocsports.com
About EF Education – NIPPO
About Rouleur Live
Enjoy a drink with cycling’s biggest stars, surrounded by the world’s best bicycles and memorabilia from the history of the sport. Rouleur Live takes place on November 4/5/6 at Victoria House, in central London and is more a celebration of cycling than a traditional bike show.
POC, Head of global PR and communication, Stockholm
mobile: +46 702 77 69 44